Verified Reviewer

1.5

First, I received an email offering up to $30 off on a meal, but the email said it had to be through the app and that the promo code had to be entered before placing the order. I installed the app, began looking for the appropriate place to put the promo code, didn't see one, so thought the order had to be started before I would find the appropriate line.

I entered the order and carefully began going through the order process, watching for the promo code placement every step of the way. Finally, there was nothing left to do but to click on 'place the order,' or whatever the wording was, hoping it would lead to one last page, but it did not--the order went through with nowhere to enter the code. I immediately hit Cancel and got a message that my $44+ order of 3 salads would cost me $37+ if I cancelled. Seeing I had no choice, I resisted the impulse to cancel the order and first tried the chat line.

When there was ano response after five minutes, Icalled the restaurant, instead. They said they had no order from me, so I figured I had been charged the $37 for the salads. I ordered a similar meal from the same restaurant on Grubhub, instead, but before I could finish the order, the original order with Ubereats called me and said they were outside my house. I told the driver what happened but he said he didn't know what to do, as did the restaurant (Chipotle).

I continued to try to reach Ubereats, using Google to find phone numbers and emails--none of which worked.

The emails went unanswered, except for one that said it was from an unmonitored email address and no one would be reading my email. The phone numbers were frauds. The phone number in the app leads to more forms and emails, which went unaswered. All the app does is redirect you to more useless information that has nothing to do with what happened, except for one which said that if the promo code didn't go through, it was either my fault for not reading the small print or it wasn't supposed to be used for the meal I ordered, None of that was in the email, which was the only source of information, and which clearly states that the promo code must be entered before placing the order, while the information shown on the app clearly states that the promo code must be entered BEFORE placing the order--again, there was nowhere to do that.

The app also revealed that the promo code is supposed to be generated from the app, so WHY WOULD THEY SEND ME A PROMO CODE IN AN EMAIL??? This company has gone to great lengths to insulate itself from responsibility for the results of a flawed app which work well for them.

Grubhub, by the way, has a friendly, live person answering the phone who can fix problems like this on the spot, as well as a chat line that is monitored and responsive.

Since they had my banking information, I also cancelled the credit card on file after reading of other customers who had cancelled and were told by Ubereats that they couldn't prove it and had to continue paying. If you had a -star rating, I'd give them -5!

User's recommendation: It should be no surprise that I cancelled the Ubereats account I had just opened and am making sure my friends don't fall for the same scam.

Location: San Diego, California

Comments

#1955565

Got the same email, dated 11/12. Disclaimer said it was valid for 14 days.

Tried using it on 11/25 in the app, and it gave me a message that the promo was no longer valid. Even including the date the email was sent, 11/25 is within the 14 days.

Tweeted their Uber Support account, and been communicating with them, but they refuse to recognize their error. Classic bait-and-switch

Ubereats Reviews